Open Enrollment in the context of company goals
To have a successful Open Enrollment, you know you need to plan ahead. But if you only focus on the implementation plan, you risk getting lost in the weeds. Instead, start by aligning on your strategic high-level intentions.
Put aside the realities of Open Enrollment, and try to sit in your boss’s seat. OE enables employees to get health coverage, but that’s more of an outcome than a goal.
Aim to figure out what your company’s leadership wants OE to deliver. Even if you have an idea, it might be worth asking directly, to avoid getting caught off-guard.
To help frame your conversation, consider asking:
- Do you consider benefits more of a recruiting strategy or more of a retention play?
- Are there additional goals? For example, is it important that benefits help with competitive blocking in our market?
- Do you have expected metrics against these aims—like reducing employee turnover by a certain percent?
- Is there a population that is more important to pay attention to or satisfy?
- Are there any unique considerations for next year? For example, are there any new financial frameworks or goals you’ll consider when evaluating OE?
- When OE is over, what kind of outcomes would make you the happiest? What would make you call it a success?
- What would make you unhappy with OE? What do you want to avoid?
- How would you want to hear employees describe OE?
Are there other questions that help you align with leadership? Share your questions in the comments below
Your employee experience matters all year long, not just during Open Enrollment.
See how leading companies are doing it differently, in a new Harvard Business Review Analytic Services report.Get the report
May We Also Recommend
Health Plans: The Simpler, The Better Health plans don’t have to be complicated. In fact, complexity is often counterproductive.
Read more Collective Insights
Collective Health: building better employer benefits From employee happiness to health benefits innovation in design, we’re rethinking what’s possible.
Read more Missed our live event?
Healthcare's holistic, virtual-first "next normal" is here. Are you ready?